THE FORTNIGHTLY LITERARY CLUB — AN INDIANAPOLIS INSTITUTION SINCE 1885!
The Fortnightly Literary Club of Indianapolis is a women’s club officially founded in 1885. Traditionally, its membership has included teachers, librarians, social workers, and businesswomen. According to the club’s constitution, the organization’s purpose is the writing and presentation of literary papers and encouraging improvement of literary skills of local students.
The club meets regularly throughout the school year. The women present papers on a variety of topics. The club has hosted authors and supported other groups with charitable contributions.
“Light Seeking Light, Doth Light of Light Beguile”
From Love’s Labour’s Lost by William Shakespeare
THE FORTNIGHTLY NAME
There is no record of how the name “Fortnightly” was selected, but it first appears in the minutes of the October 27, 1885, meeting, and on the printed program for that year. It has been suggested that it might have been the result of a timely quote, “We fetch fire and water, run about all day among the shops and markets, and are the victims of these details, and once in a fortnight arrive at a rational moment.” As the club met bi-weekly, the name seemed appropriate.